General Questions and chit chat NOT related to support. Please Use the "Buyers" section for any support related needs.
Forum rules ONLY CHIT CHAT :-) Specific theme, MODs/Extensions support only in the "Buyers section". Thank-you!
#23319 by SunHunter
July 10th, 2017, 3:42 pm
Hi, I recently purchased the FLATBOOTS theme as it looks great & I'm currently in the process of upgrading quite a large phpBB2 forum (with lots of customisations) to phpBB3.

I've read through the FLATBOOTS documentation and it says to basically only touch Custom.css but if I wanted to make bigger changes to the templates, is the recommended practice to edit the FLATBOOTS template files directly or use FLATBOOTS as the parent theme, and create my own customised child theme e.g. FLATBOOTS_CHILD?

Hope this makes sense ;)
#23320 by ThemeSplat
July 10th, 2017, 4:11 pm
Hi SH and welcome aboard!
Glad you made it here.

Child theme on phpBB is not what you expect and the same as WordPress for example.
It does not work well at all and was never thoroughly developed.

Make changes as suggested in the custom.css and change the HTML structure only if really needed.
In that case you can still easily update your main theme when new updates come out thanks to the provided change-log system:

changelog.php

Which shows you the changes and guide you through the edits.

PS:
don't forget to update your BBcore after you install the theme. (at the bottom of this page)
marketplace.php

Anything else, please let me know.

Cheers!
Dave
#23321 by SunHunter
July 10th, 2017, 4:26 pm
Thanks, that sounds great. I've got a mammoth task ahead of converting a phpBB2 forum, so I'm sure I'll be back soon and nice to know somebody's at home :)
#23322 by ThemeSplat
July 10th, 2017, 4:56 pm
Once you migrate to phpbBB 3.0 ( https://www.phpbb.com/community/docs/IN ... ml#convert )
Follow these tutorials to go through all the migrations:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1286 (choose phpBB 3.1.9 or phpBB 3.1.11 as a base release)
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3325

Then good reading here:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1491

and an older post which contains some useful links:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=549
#23338 by SunHunter
July 11th, 2017, 8:27 am
Thanks very much for the links. I've performed the database upgrade about a month ago (500,000 posts & 30,000 members) but my phpbb2 forum is about 10 years old so lots of add-ons and customisations made over those years, so it's a very slow/tedious process to duplicate all that functionality in phpbb3 (especially as some of the phpbb2 addons don't exist in phpbb3 and the code structure has changed so much in phpbb3 that porting everything across means rewriting everything).