General Questions and chit chat NOT related to support. Please Use the "Buyers" section for any support related needs.
Forum rules ONLY CHIT CHAT :-) Specific theme, MODs/Extensions support only in the "Buyers section". Thank-you!
#14807 by aeneas1
July 26th, 2016, 3:31 pm
probably voided my flatboots warranty and will no doubt be up a creek when phpbb and/or flatboots updates roll around given all the mucking/hacking i ended up doing (it's a drug, once you get started, ha ha...).... anyway here's my site, not live yet, still some fine tuning left to do, some error sorting, a little more mobile work, etc., etc...

http://www.ramsfansunited.com
Last edited by aeneas1 on October 28th, 2016, 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#14869 by TroyWolf
August 1st, 2016, 3:00 pm
Wow! BBOOTS is awesome. Mini CMS is awesome. :-D FINALLY a theme I can love after so many years of crappy themes that don't work well on mobile devices.

http://rideforum.net/
My little forum is a dualsport motorcycle community based in Kansas City, MO, USA.

At time of this post, I am running phpBB 3.1.9. I used the fantastic SiteSplat theme colorizer tool to pick a base color. I used Mini CMS to make a few tweaks--mostly to hide the social icons and the big footer area. I love both of those features, btw, just not applicable for my community right now.

I made 2 other tweaks. One is a simple style tweak to make the background image fixed--I did not like it scrolling with the page.

Code: Select allbody {
    background-attachment: fixed;
    background-size: cover;
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    background-position: center center;
}

Then I manually edited overall_header.html template to change the tiny umbrella icon that shows under the site logo to a thumbs-up instead. This would be a nice addition to Mini CMS--allow the user to change/hide this icon.

Code: Select all<p class="site-info">{SITE_DESCRIPTION}&nbsp;<i class="fa fa-thumbs-o-up"></i></p>

Great work, SiteSplat!!! My community is already responding positively to the changes--especially how things look and work on mobile. :-)
#14932 by odin
August 3rd, 2016, 5:36 pm
TroyWolf » August 1st, 2016, 3:00 pm wrote:Wow! BBOOTS is awesome. Mini CMS is awesome. :-D FINALLY a theme I can love after so many years of crappy themes that don't work well on mobile devices.

My little forum is a dualsport motorcycle community based in Kansas City, MO, USA.

I noticed you have some spam sign ups, i would set the spam sign up anti measure to be Q&A and have a simple question and answer, i use this and have had zero successful spam sign ups. I don't use any email verification stuff either :)
#15013 by TroyWolf
August 5th, 2016, 2:24 am
odin » Yesterday, 11:36 am wrote:
TroyWolf » August 1st, 2016, 3:00 pm wrote:Wow! BBOOTS is awesome. Mini CMS is awesome. :-D FINALLY a theme I can love after so many years of crappy themes that don't work well on mobile devices.

I noticed you have some spam sign ups, i would set the spam sign up anti measure to be Q&A and have a simple question and answer, i use this and have had zero successful spam sign ups. I don't use any email verification stuff either :)

You are lucky. I've tried many things including the Q&A. Only success I've had keeping them out is to require admin activation. I still get multiple spam account activation requests per day. For a few years, I just ran without self-registration. I replaced that page with text explaining to simply email me if you want an account. That was 100% effective and people were still able to create accounts. Maybe my membership suffered, but for my little community, it works.

Thanks!
#15017 by ThemeSplat
August 5th, 2016, 3:04 am
Cloudlfare is also a great thing to have and will keep many bots away. That + the QA I find is more then enough for a clean forum.
#15030 by odin
August 5th, 2016, 8:09 am
TroyWolf » Today, 2:24 am wrote:
odin » Yesterday, 11:36 am wrote:

You are lucky. I've tried many things including the Q&A. Only success I've had keeping them out is to require admin activation. I still get multiple spam account activation requests per day. For a few years, I just ran without self-registration. I replaced that page with text explaining to simply email me if you want an account. That was 100% effective and people were still able to create accounts. Maybe my membership suffered, but for my little community, it works.

Thanks!

Thats interesting, where do you view the failed signups?
#15035 by dankg
August 5th, 2016, 4:23 pm
aeneas1 » July 26th, 2016, 3:31 pm wrote:probably voided my flatboots warranty and will no doubt be up a creek when phpbb and/or flatboots updates roll around given all the mucking/hacking i ended up doing (it's a drug, once you get started, ha ha...).... anyway here's my site, not live yet, still some fine tuning left to do, some error sorting, a little more mobile work, etc., etc...

if interested, you can use this u/p to log-in:

RFUGuest
PXVwfBWA

http://www.gametimememories.com

Great looking edits man. Beautiful on mobile.
#15132 by aeneas1
August 11th, 2016, 11:18 am
dankg wrote:Great looking edits man. Beautiful on mobile.

hey, thanks very much, now if i can only find an easy way to transfer the theme to the live board, without having to reinstall all of the extensions and redo all of the edits... i thought i could just import the live board's database into the test board where the theme is, but apparently that's not how it works, alas...

ThemeSplat wrote:Cloudlfare is also a great thing to have and will keep many bots away. That + the QA I find is more then enough for a clean forum.

i really wanted to use cloudfare but found it caused a lot of problems, prevented some visitors from even accessing the board, they would get an error message instead of seeing the site, i posted the prob at the phpbb forum and was told this was very common, that cloidfare caused all sorts of problems with phpbb boards... anyway once i disabled cloudfare all was well, everyone could access the board...