General Questions and chit chat NOT related to support. Please Use the "Buyers" section for any support related needs.
Forum rules ONLY CHIT CHAT :-) Specific theme, MODs/Extensions support only in the "Buyers section". Thank-you!
#25306 by ThemeSplat
December 14th, 2017, 7:10 pm
I keep getting emails about what an user needs to run phpBB on a new server...
The presence of each of these required features will also be checked during the phpBB installation process. (See here: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... stallation )

These are minimum requirements:
  1. A webserver or web hosting account running on any major Operating System with support for PHP
  2. A SQL database system, one of:
    • MySQL 3.23 or above (MySQLi supported)
    • MariaDB 5.1 or above
    • MS SQL Server 2000 or above (via ODBC or SQLSRV PHP extensions)
    • Oracle
    • PostgreSQL 8.3+
    • SQLite 3.6.15+
  3. PHP 5.4.0+ with support for the database you intend to use.
  4. getimagesize() function enabled
  5. The following PHP modules are required:
    • json
    • XML support
    • Corresponding PHP module for the database system you intend to use
    • The following PHP modules are optional, but will provide access to additional features.
    • zlib Compression support
    • Remote FTP support
    • Imagemagick support
    • GD support

Q: Where can I install and run my phpBB forum?
A: There are many ways and depends on your end needs. You can use shared hosting or for more tech savvy user (or more courageous? :D ) Developer servers like Digital Ocean, AWS, Google Cloud etc etc. For Digital Ocean you can setup a server for only $5 per month. If you use this link: https://www.digitalocean.com/?refcode=695da8673849 you will get $10 credit on your account. (that's two months worth of services)

Q: I cannot/don't want to bother going through the new server setup. Can you do it for me?
A: Sure thing! I do this almost on a daily basis for new clients. Contact me via email or PM to discuss your needs and I can provide you an accurate cost and action plan.

Q: I need a managed server as I don't want to deal with server updates/maintenance and this without "breaking the bank", can you point me in the right direction?
A: I have the perfect solution. Fast, secure and many options. Comes with a great discount too when my signup link is used. Contact me via email/PM if intend to use a great managed server solution at a great price.