General Questions and chit chat NOT related to support. Please Use the "Buyers" section for any support related needs.
Forum rules ONLY CHIT CHAT :-) Specific theme, MODs/Extensions support only in the "Buyers section". Thank-you!
#25723 by MIGUELCOM
January 15th, 2018, 10:39 pm
Hello everyone.

I have the Flatboots template in an updated installation of PHPBB 3.2.2.

Despite having configured the cookie notice, it does not appear anywhere.

Do you know how I can solve it?
Do I need an extension?

Thanks greetings!
#25724 by ThemeSplat
January 15th, 2018, 11:03 pm
Hi M and welcome aboard!

phpBB cookie notice is useless and just loads a bunch of JavaScript code for nothing at end.
Therefore I left the support for it up to a third party option.

This should work:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1316#p7226

or:
https://cookie-bar.eu/
Dave
#25728 by Leinad4Mind
January 16th, 2018, 10:29 am
ThemeSplat » Yesterday, 11:03 pm wrote:Hi M and welcome aboard!

phpBB cookie notice is useless and just loads a bunch of JavaScript code for nothing at end.
Therefore I left the support for it up to a third party option.

This should work:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1316#p7226

or:
https://cookie-bar.eu/
Dave

True, but I guess Webistes from European Countries are obliged to use it. :meh:
#25737 by ThemeSplat
January 16th, 2018, 5:31 pm
Yes sure thing, but that phpBB cookie notice is poorly implemented at best!
I refuse to add bloated JS script just for a notice that does not even work correctly to begin with.
Bloating pages with useless scripts is as bad as not having a properly implemented cookie notice... (for example you are also forcing an user/s to waste bandwidth for a useless script )

so an Admin might as well use something like this:
Code: Select all<div class="alert alert-info fade in">
        <button class="close" data-dismiss="alert"><span class="awe-remove-circle"></span></button>
         <strong>Cookie Notice:</strong>Look ma I'm a useless cookie notice that at least does not require a bloated JS file<a href="#" class="postlink-local" data-original-title="" title="">Cookie Law</a>
      </div>

david63 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:38 am wrote:the way that this has been implemented in phpBB is, I believe, flawed.

There are three basic rules for complying with the Cookie Law
The rules on cookies are in regulation 6. The basic rule is that you must:

• tell people the cookies are there;
  • explain what the cookies are doing and why; and
  • get the person’s consent to store a cookie on their device.
(source - ICO : https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/gu ... hnologies/)

Whilst points 1 and 3 are being handled point 2, in my opinion, is not as all there is is a link on the acceptance banner to an remote page (http://cookies.insites.com/) which is only giving some basic information about cookies in general, not specific to any particular site. Also there is no permanent link to the "Cookie policy" once the banner has been dismissed and if the remote site is not accessible then the user will have no information at all.

Furthermore this implementation does not, as far as my understanding goes, comply with the requirements of some other EU countries.

Those points in the quote are just basic...
A proper cookie notice is not just a notice. It needs to kill/stop all kind of tracking scripts that run in a page if the user chooses to "not agree" to that notice. For example google analytics, Google tags, ads related scripts and many many more!

Therefore I left that out on purpose and I prefer the Admins who need the cookie notice to implement a solution they prefer and actually work correctly, on their own...

I'm new to this, What are Cookies Anyway?
Cookies are a kind of short term memory for the web. They are stored in your browser and enable a site to 'remember' little bits of information between pages or visits.

They are widely used to make the web experience more personal, which is generally seen as a positive thing. However some cookies collect data across many websites, creating 'behavioural profiles' of people. These profiles can then be used to decide what content or adverts to show you. This use of cookies for targeting in particular is what the law was designed to highlight. By requiring websites to inform and obtain consent from visitors it aims to give web users more control over their online privacy.

To find out lots more about cookies in general and the different types, take a look at: Cookiepedia - the leading information resource all about cookies