For example you want to update from 3.2.6 to 3.2.8 or maybe 3.3.0 to 3.3.1
The method described below is for updating boards with no core code changes.
Also please note, large forums should do the update via phpBB CLI to avoid timeouts! (https://area51.phpbb.com/docs/dev/3.2.x/cli/index.html)
- Backup all board files and the database.
- Download the Full Package of the latest version of 3.2.x
- Unzip to your desktop and open the phpBB3 folder.
- Remove (delete) the config.php file, and the /images, /store and /files folders from the package (not your site).
- Go to the ACP, Board settings, and make sure prosilver is set as the default style. If not, set it to prosilver. Also make sure British English is set as the default language.
- Using FTP, delete the /vendor and /cache folders from the board's root folder on the host.
- Via FTP or SSH upload the remaining files and folders (that is, the remaining CONTENTS of the phpBB3 folder) to the root folder of your board installation on the server, overwriting the existing files. (Note: take care not to delete any extensions in your /ext folder when uploading the new phpBB3 contents.)
If there are any install_config.php, .lock or migration files in the /store folder, delete them.
- In your browser go to http://www.example.com/yourforum/install
- Follow the steps to update the database and let that run to completion.
- Via FTP or SSH delete the /install folder from the root of your board installation.
- Done! You now have a new up to date board containing all your users and posts.
Possible Follow up tasks:
- Update your language pack
- Update your premium style
- Update your extensions
- Running HTTPS?(you should!) Make sure you install BBssl to set your board correctly marketplace.php?mode=view&item_id=73
- Wanting your forum to run super faster, have total control with a modern setup and also save money by running your own cloud hosting? Send me a PM inquiring about a custom server setup.
- Using CloudFlare? Install this ext: marketplace.php?mode=view&item_id=48
NOTE: You can easily update your premium styles directly via ACP in 1 click with the BBCore auto-update:
- Deploy an NVMe server in 30 seconds. Sign up with my link and get $50 in credit.
- Get a custom professional email (@yourcompany.com), 24/7 support, 30GB of storage, and more. Google Apps For Business
- Follow me on ThemeForest to get the latest updates ThemeSplat
- Follow me on GitHub SiteSplat