The Special SiteSplat Membership has launched! Check our In Da Club Plan đź‘Ś
  • Showcase - show your forum
  • General Questions and chit chat NOT related to support. Please Use the “Buyers” section for any support related needs.
General Questions and chit chat NOT related to support. Please Use the “Buyers” section for any support related needs.
Forum rules: ONLY CHIT CHAT :-) Specific theme, MODs/Extensions support only in the “Buyers section”. Thank-you!
 #14807  by aeneas1
 July 26th, 2016, 3:31 pm
probably voided my flatboots warranty and will no doubt be up a creek when phpbb and/or flatboots updates roll around given all the mucking/hacking i ended up doing (it’s a drug, once you get started, ha ha…)…. anyway here’s my site, not live yet, still some fine tuning left to do, some error sorting, a little more mobile work, etc., etc…

http://www.ramsfansunited.com
Last edited by aeneas1 on October 28th, 2016, 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #14869  by TroyWolf
 August 1st, 2016, 3:00 pm
Wow! BBOOTS is awesome. Mini CMS is awesome. :-D FINALLY a theme I can love after so many years of crappy themes that don’t work well on mobile devices.

http://rideforum.net/
My little forum is a dualsport motorcycle community based in Kansas City, MO, USA.

At time of this post, I am running phpBB 3.1.9. I used the fantastic SiteSplat theme colorizer tool to pick a base color. I used Mini CMS to make a few tweaks–mostly to hide the social icons and the big footer area. I love both of those features, btw, just not applicable for my community right now.

I made 2 other tweaks. One is a simple style tweak to make the background image fixed–I did not like it scrolling with the page.
Code: Select all
body {
    background-attachment: fixed;
    background-size: cover;
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    background-position: center center; 
}
Then I manually edited overall_header.html template to change the tiny umbrella icon that shows under the site logo to a thumbs-up instead. This would be a nice addition to Mini CMS–allow the user to change/hide this icon.
Code: Select all
<p class="site-info">{SITE_DESCRIPTION}&nbsp;<i class="fa fa-thumbs-o-up"></i></p>
Great work, SiteSplat!!! My community is already responding positively to the changes–especially how things look and work on mobile. :-)
 #14932  by odin
 August 3rd, 2016, 5:36 pm
TroyWolf » August 1st, 2016, 3:00 pm wrote:

Wow! BBOOTS is awesome. Mini CMS is awesome. :-D FINALLY a theme I can love after so many years of crappy themes that don’t work well on mobile devices.

My little forum is a dualsport motorcycle community based in Kansas City, MO, USA.

I noticed you have some spam sign ups, i would set the spam sign up anti measure to be Q&A and have a simple question and answer, i use this and have had zero successful spam sign ups. I don’t use any email verification stuff either :)
 #15013  by TroyWolf
 August 5th, 2016, 2:24 am
odin » Yesterday, 11:36 am wrote:

I noticed you have some spam sign ups, i would set the spam sign up anti measure to be Q&A and have a simple question and answer, i use this and have had zero successful spam sign ups. I don’t use any email verification stuff either :)

You are lucky. I’ve tried many things including the Q&A. Only success I’ve had keeping them out is to require admin activation. I still get multiple spam account activation requests per day. For a few years, I just ran without self-registration. I replaced that page with text explaining to simply email me if you want an account. That was 100% effective and people were still able to create accounts. Maybe my membership suffered, but for my little community, it works.

Thanks!
 #15017  by ThemeSplat
 August 5th, 2016, 3:04 am
Cloudlfare is also a great thing to have and will keep many bots away. That + the QA I find is more then enough for a clean forum.
 #15030  by odin
 August 5th, 2016, 8:09 am
TroyWolf » Today, 2:24 am wrote:
odin » Yesterday, 11:36 am wrote:

You are lucky. I’ve tried many things including the Q&A. Only success I’ve had keeping them out is to require admin activation. I still get multiple spam account activation requests per day. For a few years, I just ran without self-registration. I replaced that page with text explaining to simply email me if you want an account. That was 100% effective and people were still able to create accounts. Maybe my membership suffered, but for my little community, it works.

Thanks!

Thats interesting, where do you view the failed signups?
 #15035  by dankg
 August 5th, 2016, 4:23 pm
aeneas1 » July 26th, 2016, 3:31 pm wrote:

probably voided my flatboots warranty and will no doubt be up a creek when phpbb and/or flatboots updates roll around given all the mucking/hacking i ended up doing (it’s a drug, once you get started, ha ha…)…. anyway here’s my site, not live yet, still some fine tuning left to do, some error sorting, a little more mobile work, etc., etc…

if interested, you can use this u/p to log-in:

RFUGuest
PXVwfBWA

http://www.gametimememories.com

Great looking edits man. Beautiful on mobile.
 #15132  by aeneas1
 August 11th, 2016, 11:18 am
dankg wrote:

Great looking edits man. Beautiful on mobile.

hey, thanks very much, now if i can only find an easy way to transfer the theme to the live board, without having to reinstall all of the extensions and redo all of the edits… i thought i could just import the live board’s database into the test board where the theme is, but apparently that’s not how it works, alas…
ThemeSplat wrote:

Cloudlfare is also a great thing to have and will keep many bots away. That + the QA I find is more then enough for a clean forum.

i really wanted to use cloudfare but found it caused a lot of problems, prevented some visitors from even accessing the board, they would get an error message instead of seeing the site, i posted the prob at the phpbb forum and was told this was very common, that cloidfare caused all sorts of problems with phpbb boards… anyway once i disabled cloudfare all was well, everyone could access the board…
 #16305  by PhilDiscuss
 October 7th, 2016, 9:57 pm
http://www.phildiscuss.com/

The Philippines Discussion Website
  • Not fully finished, but you can see. :evil:
Last edited by PhilDiscuss on January 18th, 2017, 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PRENEXT_POST_NAVIGATION