The Special SiteSplat Membership has launched! Check our In Da Club Plan 👌
  • Do you use phpBB via mobile device? IE cellphone, tablet.

Do you use phpBB via mobile device? IE cellphone, tablet

Yes (leave a comment with how many times approx.)
11%
No at all
No votes
0%
One / two times per week approx
11%
Almost all the time
11%
Sporadically (IE once per month)
5%
Every day
63%
 #32845  by ThemeSplat
 April 8th, 2020, 2:45 pm
Do you use phpBB via mobile device? IE cellphone, tablet.
 #32848  by Bez
 April 8th, 2020, 3:16 pm
Yes use it to keep an eye on the forum wile i am at work. :-)

(Maybe once or twice a day)
Last edited by Bez on April 8th, 2020, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #32855  by caiocald
 April 8th, 2020, 9:55 pm
Dave, I wanted to talk to you about this. We need to focus on mobile versions now.

80% of my access already comes from mobile devices. My forum app already has more than 10.000 downloads.

This is the future;
 #32859  by Iveco
 April 9th, 2020, 8:32 am
@caiocald

Can you please get a bit more technical about your vision?
What do you think is the "future app for forums"? PWAs? Did you get native pushnotifications to work? Do you use Firebase? Did you natively recode an app? Did you add an customized menu?
 #32862  by WelshPaul
 April 9th, 2020, 9:16 am
I don't see the need for an app myself. If a website is designed right the user experience will be just as good! Otherwise why would anyone want or need a website right? Just get rid of them all and we all use apps instead lol.
 #32872  by pawlshepherd
 April 9th, 2020, 1:26 pm
WelshPaul wrote: April 9th, 2020, 9:16 am

I don't see the need for an app myself. If a website is designed right the user experience will be just as good! Otherwise why would anyone want or need a website right? Just get rid of them all and we all use apps instead lol.

Basically this. I find that both Sitesplat themes work perfectly fine on mobile, which is how I do 99% of my browsing. Occasionally I have to switch to landscape view to get access to something minor like a BBCode button when I'm being lazy, but that's it.
I can't see how an app would be any more efficient or user-friendly than the styles are already. If anything they would be less efficient due to having to swap between apps to switch tabs.
 #32881  by El_Lagarto
 April 9th, 2020, 8:26 pm
pawlshepherd wrote:

Basically this. I find that both Sitesplat themes work perfectly fine on mobile, which is how I do 99% of my browsing. Occasionally I have to switch to landscape view to get access to something minor like a BBCode button when I'm being lazy, but that's it.
I can't see how an app would be any more efficient or user-friendly than the styles are already. If anything they would be less efficient due to having to swap between apps to switch tabs.

Agree with this. I don't know that standalone apps for forums are all that necessary anymore, now that responsive design is pretty standard.
 #32883  by pawlshepherd
 April 10th, 2020, 12:20 am
El_Lagarto wrote: April 9th, 2020, 8:26 pm
pawlshepherd wrote:

Agree with this. I don't know that standalone apps for forums are all that necessary anymore, now that responsive design is pretty standard.

Personally I was never a big fan of apps like tapatalk anyway. I would rather have all the aesthetics and functions of a forum (especially those with customisations) and have to navigate to it 'the hard way' in a browser than have a generic looking all-in-one.
I'll even happily fight with a non-responsive design over having to exit Chrome and open a different app to check a thread!

PRENEXT_POST_NAVIGATION