The Special SiteSplat Membership has launched! Check our In Da Club Plan 👌
  • Showcase - show your forum
  • General Questions and chit chat NOT related to support. Please Use the “Buyers” section for any support related needs.
General Questions and chit chat NOT related to support. Please Use the “Buyers” section for any support related needs.
Forum rules: ONLY CHIT CHAT :-) Specific theme, MODs/Extensions support only in the “Buyers section”. Thank-you!
 #32479  by pawlshepherd
 March 4th, 2020, 3:40 pm
El_Lagarto wrote: March 4th, 2020, 2:52 pm
pawlshepherd wrote:
El_Lagarto wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 2:36 pm

That looks great. I love the forum icons and badges. Did you do them all yourself?

Why thanks!
Kind of, but basically no if I’m being honest! The various faction images I found basic-outline svg files that people had made (for pretty much this purpose), and some of the others were based on free-to-use icons. Brought them into Photoshop and went from there. Not yet learned how to work with svg files properly, so all png for the time being.

I have no idea about working with svg files either, but I downloaded some free flat icons in svg format. I found a site that will convert color svg to grey (http://www.tlhiv.org/grayscale/), so I use the colored icons for unread and the gray ones for read.

There’s a few free programs that can work with them in place of Illustrator, but I’ve just not managed to get my head around them properly yet, especially designing from scratch. I might make another go at some point but it’s not a priority for the time being.
Cheers for the tip though!
 #32481  by El_Lagarto
 March 4th, 2020, 4:34 pm
Hey, @Iveco, I have a question.

You have a “NewsBot,” which I assume automatically posts news from an RSS feed. I use something similar.

According to this post, you have given your users instructions on how to not just ignore NewsBot but to also block the forum that NewsBot posts in.

How did you do this? Some kind of autogroup that removes permissions for the news forum from the group of users who ignore NewsBot?
 #32482  by Iveco
 March 4th, 2020, 5:12 pm
Exactly - NewsBot automatically grabs news from bing.com, since google.com does not supply images anymore for Google News ;-) Microsoft still allows them. So you can get real good content with images using https://www.bing.com/news - its a simple PHP script which gets called by cron every minute. It does the logic and if found sth will add the topic to the DB directly (using a clean way). Its really simple, not even a real plugin. I added some kind of blacklisting to prevent some news.

It has been greatly accepted, but a few users (as always) started to complain. Because sometimes you can get around 2-3 news per day. They did not want to have these threads 1. in the top_menu (Newest Posts, Last Read) and they did not want to see the forum at all. To allow this, I told them to use the PHPBB original “Ignore”-function for users, so they just have to go to the users-profile and ignore the user. But sadly, ignoring a user in PHPBB does not mean it will won’t show you the thread, neither hide the forum. You still see posts (when people reply) and you see weired banned notifications. So I had to do additionally to stuff here, to hide it completely. So again its a simple PHP script, called every few minutes by cronjob, and this goes to the PHPBB database and finds users, who have ignored the bot. When the script has collected the users_id who have ignored the bot, it will do additionally inserts in a few tables to mark the threads as being read for these people, additionally adding a “deny to this forum ACL automatically” and set the threads within this forum ALL to have been read. This will prevent the display in various PHPBB places where the thread/forum would be displayed anyways, even the user has ignored the other user using PHPBB core functions.

So in the end you get a separate forum automatically posting news/articles with images and users may have an easy option to complete hide this, if they do not want that.

Both scripts are very simple and could be easily customized for yourself with little PHP coding skills.
I could make them public both if you want, but would then not be responsible for it and additionally only in prem section then.
 #32504  by PaulusB
 March 5th, 2020, 12:49 pm
El_Lagarto wrote: March 4th, 2020, 2:53 pm
PaulusB wrote:

URL: https://www.vwforum.nl
Posts, 1926654 Threads, 117729 Members 66293
Theme: FLATBOOTS

Holy crap, over 66,000 users! That’s huge. I guess the Dutch drive a lot of VWs.

Yes most popular brand i think in the netherlands.
 #32505  by El_Lagarto
 March 5th, 2020, 2:40 pm
Iveco wrote:

Exactly - NewsBot automatically grabs news from bing.com, since google.com does not supply images anymore for Google News ;-) Microsoft still allows them. So you can get real good content with images using https://www.bing.com/news - its a simple PHP script which gets called by cron every minute. It does the logic and if found sth will add the topic to the DB directly (using a clean way). Its really simple, not even a real plugin. I added some kind of blacklisting to prevent some news.

Thanks for the reply. I am using this extension for my NewsBot. No need to roll my own! I only wish it were compatible with BBPrefix, but it’s good enough for what I need.
 #32683  by Lickety!
 March 26th, 2020, 6:10 am
Can I buy this in the marketplace?

PRENEXT_POST_NAVIGATION