The Special SiteSplat Membership has launched! Check our In Da Club Plan 👌
  • phpBB 3.1
  • News, Announcements, Feedback, Improvements, Changes and Policies.
News, Announcements, Feedback, Improvements, Changes and Policies.

Do you like phpBB 3.1 so far?

Yes
74%
No
2%
I wish they had developed more features
20%
They overly complicated things for developers
4%
 #2305  by ThemeSplat
 June 24th, 2014, 2:46 pm
Lets talk about this :-)

Have you tried it yet? What do you think so far? Vote and leave a comment.

Some useful Links:

Features
phpBB 3.1.x FORUM
phpBB 3.1 Information and Status
Composer Topic: Dependency Management
Extensions
Events system
Events GitHub
Add Template Listeners
PHP Events list (Hook Locations)
Template Engine Changes in 3.1 and Styles_and_template_engine_changes_3.1 and New Template Commands in 3.1
Twig
Symfony Components
Comprehensive changelog
non-exhaustive (but still near complete) changelog
Code changes
Creating & Modifying Styles
How to convert a phpBB 3.0 MOD into a phpBB 3.1 Extension
extension docs
Queue stats
Downloads
Direct Download server
phpBB Documentation
phpBB User Guide - 3.1
new developer documentation
Upgrading from 3.0 to 3.1
Releases Status - Main Branches

Improvements
We have been highlighting various improvements introduced in phpBB Ascraeus 3.1 on our blog over the past weeks, but I would like to feature a few of the more important ones here.

phpBB Ascraeus introduces extensions as a replacement for phpBB MODs. Extensions modify or supplement phpBB's existing functionality using multiple plugin mechanisms and an events system, without modifying any core code. Extensions will streamline the update process and improve compatibility when multiple packages are used simultaneously.

Our default style, prosilver, has been modernized and updated. Its new responsive behaviour makes it a pleasure to use on smartphones, tablets, and other handheld devices. Subsilver, our alternate style, has been removed from the default package, but will continue to be supported as a standalone package, like any other style in our database. Style authors are encouraged to base new styles on prosilver.

The user experience has likewise been substantially improved. A new notifications system, similar to those found on Facebook or Google, will inform you of new replies to watched topics, posts quoting you, or new moderation activity. The authentication system is now capable of supporting OAuth based login mechanisms, such as Facebook Connect or Google+ Logins.

Behind the scenes, we have restructured large parts of the code. The template engine is now based on twig, and you can use its full functionality in custom styles. We have replaced a number of phpBB subsystems with Symfony Components to focus more on phpBB's functionality and less on maintaining technical subsystems.

Requirements
Please note that phpBB 3.1 has some requirements that differ from phpBB 3.0:
  • PHP version 5.3.3 or greater is required

• PHP’s json extension is required

• For PostgreSQL users, only versions 8.3 and above are supported

• Firebird is not supported anymore

#2306  by ThE KuKa
 June 24th, 2014, 3:09 pm
I'm working on the translation Spanish (Spain) Formal and Casual Honorifics, I honestly expected more changes with more features.

There are some interesting changes, but few I think ...
 #4165  by Alias79
 November 18th, 2014, 5:06 pm
Today I bought FlatBoots :-)

I installed phpBB 3.1.1, and I've been surprised that it not allows to install Automod. How I can install FlatBoots?
 #4166  by ThE KuKa
 November 18th, 2014, 6:08 pm
FLATBOOTS and BBOOTS styles, only works in phpBB 3.0.12 not for phpBB 3.1
 #4167  by ThemeSplat
 November 18th, 2014, 6:50 pm
Alias79 » Today, 17:06 wrote:

Today I bought FlatBoots :-)

I installed phpBB 3.1.1, and I've been surprised that it not allows to install Automod. How I can install FlatBoots?

Hey Alias,
Thanks for purchasing the theme. Like TheKuka said, the themes for now are only for 3.0.X There is just no point in rushing to 3.1.X Its not mature enough and there are only 3 extensions available. At the moment you wouldn't really see any benefits, beside the notification system and some ajax functionality. There is not much that would make you notice the difference.

You know when they say a picture is worth more than a 1000 words?

Hint: look at the number 4 and 603. That would be phpBB 3.1 and phpBB 3.0.12

#4175  by Alias79
 November 19th, 2014, 12:52 pm
I see, you're right ;D

I am so rookie with phpBB, and I wanted to make the cleanest installation possible, but clearly it is not yet time to move to 3.1 :-)

Thanks!!! And great job with this awesome theme!!!
 #4177  by ThemeSplat
 November 19th, 2014, 3:09 pm
No worries. Send me an email if you need any help or get stuck. I'll be happy to help you. Cheers!
 #5133  by Okkie
 February 1st, 2015, 10:31 pm
The feature that I like the most is that I no longer have to modify the core code.
Would love to see BBOOTS on phpBB 3.1.
 #5563  by ThemeSplat
 March 11th, 2015, 1:32 am
Hey Guys
I just wanted to make this official. I'm working on 3.1.x if I don't promptly reply to the posts here you know the reason so please bear with me. If you can support other new people and you know the answer to possible questions I would really appreciate it. :) Lets make this place fun and encourage friendly discussions even for new people around the block. Lots of good stuff is coming... Stay tuned. Thanks again for supporting SiteSplat's projects and be around :-)
Cheers everyone!

PRENEXT_POST_NAVIGATION