The Special SiteSplat Membership has launched! Check our In Da Club Plan 👌
  • Forum statistics
  • General Questions and chit chat NOT related to support. Please Use the “Buyers” section for any support related needs.
General Questions and chit chat NOT related to support. Please Use the “Buyers” section for any support related needs.
Forum rules: ONLY CHIT CHAT :-) Specific theme, MODs/Extensions support only in the “Buyers section”. Thank-you!
 #32262  by Bez
 February 15th, 2020, 10:30 am
How accurate are the forum stats you see at the bottom of the index page?

This seems a lot, are most of them just bots?
 #32263  by PhilDiscuss
 February 15th, 2020, 11:08 am
ACP - System - Spider:
“Bots”, “spiders” or “crawlers” are automated agents most commonly used by search engines to update their databases. Since they rarely make proper use of sessions they can distort visitor counts, increase load and sometimes fail to index sites correctly. Here you can define a special type of user to overcome these problems.
 #32264  by Bez
 February 15th, 2020, 2:11 pm
Yes i realise this but it sometimes reports that several hundred guests are on at the same time, surely they cant all be bots. :-o
 #32265  by WelshPaul
 February 15th, 2020, 2:15 pm
Bez wrote:

Yes i realise this but it sometimes reports that several hundred guests are on at the same time, surely they cant all be bots. :-o

Yes this is normal. Your forum is probably being hit by the Chinese scrapper bots that have been doing the round the past year! Just click on the who is online to verify…
 #32266  by Iveco
 February 15th, 2020, 2:17 pm
It can be, if the user-agent is not flagged as known-bot. Then it just shows up as Guest.
Check “who is online page”, click the first link as admin show guests then you see user-agent and IP of these “users”.
 #32268  by El_Lagarto
 February 15th, 2020, 2:47 pm
I’ve been getting hit with a lot of those Chinese scraper bots lately. Just for fun, I made a public post with keywords about the Tiannamen Square massacre, in both Chinese and English. I don’t know if that will increase my traffic, get me blacklisted from China or hacked, but we will see.
 #32272  by Bez
 February 15th, 2020, 5:27 pm
So are all of these bot’s

Because i have pages of them. :terry: :-D
 #32277  by Iveco
 February 16th, 2020, 8:53 am
Yeah its a botnet. Check the ip range. So many people within the same IP range is no circumstance, but rather a targeted attack.
I can talk books about this. Its happening currently to a lot of ecommerce sites too.

I am using https://github.com/mitchellkrogza/nginx ... ot-blocker - this is my golden trick.
“The Ultimate Nginx Bad Bot, User-Agent, Spam Referrer Blocker, Adware, Malware and Ransomware Blocker, Clickjacking Blocker, Click Re-Directing Blocker, SEO Companies and Bad IP Blocker with Anti DDOS System, Nginx Rate Limiting and Wordpress Theme Detector Blocking. Stop and Block all kinds of bad internet traffic even Fake Googlebots from ever reaching your web sites.”

Its a dynamic, automatically updating user-agent tracker and bad-ip-tracker. Its production ready.
The blacklist is very nice, no false-positives. The list updates automatically every 5 minutes.
You can then use this blacklist to prevent the botnet to actually connecting to your webserver at all (e.g. fail2ban the ips and ban the user-agents prio connecting to your webserver), this is the only way to prevent they actually use up your ressources.
There is an apache modul doing the same also available.

Fighting botnets you can only do correctly with good threat intelligence lists, since the ips and users-agents may change very quickly, dynamically. So static protections like GeoIP or fixed user-agent strings will not last very long, until the next change. So you need to fight this with an automatic system too.
 #32280  by Bez
 February 16th, 2020, 11:10 am
Ok thanks for the info guys will keep an eye on it. :plus1:

PRENEXT_POST_NAVIGATION