The Special SiteSplat Membership has launched! Check our In Da Club Plan 👌
  • Forum statistics
  • General Questions and chit chat NOT related to support. Please Use the “Buyers” section for any support related needs.
General Questions and chit chat NOT related to support. Please Use the “Buyers” section for any support related needs.
Forum rules: ONLY CHIT CHAT :-) Specific theme, MODs/Extensions support only in the “Buyers section”. Thank-you!
 #32668  by Bez
 March 25th, 2020, 10:45 am
Anyone know of a way to stop or reduce these bots from eating up my bandwidth i am getting really hammered at the moment and often have over 800 on my site at any one time. :-x

I have looked at Iveco’s suggestions above (i am on Apache Version 2.4.39) but it looks too in depth for me and requires a lot of editing stuff i am not comfortable with. :fear:

Any ideas appreciated. :-)
 #32671  by ThemeSplat
 March 25th, 2020, 2:41 pm
Do you use Cloudflare? If not, that would be worth a try…
 #32677  by Bez
 March 25th, 2020, 6:18 pm
ThemeSplat wrote: March 25th, 2020, 2:41 pm

Do you use Cloudflare? If not, that would be worth a try…

Afraid not, I have a small re-seller account with Hostgator i use to sell web space to local small businesses so i moved it onto that account not long back to save costs.

I have been getting a lot of these bots lately and had to up my bandwidth by 30Gig just to cope. :poo:
(Luckily as it is my re-seller account i can just allocate more to that account but it leaves less for new customers :-x )
 #32678  by ThemeSplat
 March 25th, 2020, 7:31 pm
Then definitely add Cloudflare and will save you ton of bandwidth.
Use this ext to manage the cache thing: marketplace.php?mode=view&item_id=48
if the issue continues, you can take extra steps later…
 #32679  by Dion
 March 25th, 2020, 11:57 pm
This will get rid of the worst offenders from Huawei Clouds. Put it in a .htaccess file. If you have a VPS, you should instead add the three CIDRs to iptables.
Code: Select all
<If "-R '114.119.128.0/18' || -R '119.8.0.0/16' || -R '159.138.0.0/16'">
	Redirect 400 /
</If>
 #32684  by Bez
 March 26th, 2020, 7:03 am
@ThemeSplat
@Dion

Thanks guys that was very helpful, i have signed up to Cloudflare and changed name-servers and installed EXT from here.

@Dion do i still need to add your code to my .htaccess?
 #32690  by Dion
 March 26th, 2020, 5:50 pm
No, you don’t need the code in .htaccess. You should instead block Huawei Clouds ( AS136907) in CloudFlare.
 #32691  by Bez
 March 26th, 2020, 6:59 pm
Dion wrote: March 26th, 2020, 5:50 pm

No, you don’t need the code in .htaccess. You should instead block Huawei Clouds ( AS136907) in CloudFlare.

Ok thanks @Dion

Do i need to add any sub domains to CloudFlare that are associated with my main site as they are now unreachable. :poo:

Or is this unrelated :whata:
 #32693  by ThemeSplat
 March 26th, 2020, 10:04 pm
Did you follow the instructions from CF? IE added the name server etc to your domain registrar NS section?
Also make sure you don’t mess around with other CF settings. For example leave alone any of the speed section options, like rocket loaders, minify resource etc. Everything should be disabled or it will cause havoc with a phpBB board. Also Caching Level should be set to standard and always online leave it disabled.
Finally under the firewall section you should be able to add custom rules to block malicious bots…
 #32697  by Bez
 March 27th, 2020, 9:42 am
ThemeSplat wrote: March 26th, 2020, 10:04 pm

Did you follow the instructions from CF? IE added the name server etc to your domain registrar NS section?
Also make sure you don’t mess around with other CF settings. For example leave alone any of the speed section options, like rocket loaders, minify resource etc. Everything should be disabled or it will cause havoc with a phpBB board. Also Caching Level should be set to standard and always online leave it disabled.
Finally under the firewall section you should be able to add custom rules to block malicious bots…

Yes did all of that but after a wile the two sub domains became unreachable so i had to disable cloudflare then after a wile all went back to normal. :whata:

PRENEXT_POST_NAVIGATION